Old to you, new to ME: The Chocolate Acai Smoothie Bowl!!!

Lawd. Where does a girl begin? If anyone knows me, they know my love for a nice smoothie that not only tastes good, but is also GOOD FOR YOU. I aspire to be a protein, greens and almond milk connoisseur. Pair these ingredients with the right amount of fruits, veggies and other goodies and you will mess around and find youself sipping on a cup of heaven. BUT, why didn’t anyone tell me we were making bowls out of this delicious treat? I am so very late to the party! *insert the sad emoji face*

Honestly, it wasn’t until I stumbled across a cute little cafe in my explore tab on Instagram that I had ever heard anything about smoothie bowl. After this jaw dropping (literally) discovery, my little fingers went into overdrive. I searched  IG and Google high and low, exploring the many different combinations of smoothie bowls and toppings people were whipping together.

Then the flood gates opened.  I came across a DELICIOUS recipie on THIS WEBSITE and knew I had to give it a try. This was honestly one of the BEST decions anyone (who loves both chocolate and eating healthy) could make!!

This is the Acai Berry puree I decided to use for my “Chocolate Acai Smoothie Bowl.” Sounds delish right? One, this purée was the only one available at my local Whole Foods Market. Two, it was the one that was recommened in Gimmie Delicious’ Blog. I do believe you can purchase this puree, along with other brands online through Amazon or other stores. So, don’t get all in a panic if you don’t have a Whole Foods close by lol.  Plus, like many berries, these are rich in antioxidants, help increase blood circulation, lower cholesterol, and help combat cancer, just to make a few good things.

​​

Are you sold yet??? Lol. Well, what if I also told you this treat is also VERY EASY and FAST to make? Honestly, when I saw the prep time was ONLY 5 minutes, I did display a huge side eye😒.  Usually my prep and cook times are ALWAYS far off from what’s mentioned in recipes, but Not this time! I feel like gathering everything onto the counter took the longest time for me. It realistically took me about 5-7 minutes to make this the second time around after I knew the measurements I preferred and what ingredients I wanted to use!

The recipe includes: *modifications in bold*

Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Author: Layla
Serves: 1

Ingredients

• 1 4-ounce packet Sambozon unsweetened frozen acai puree
  • 1 medium banana
  • ½ cup ice
  • ¼ cup chocolate almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon Chocolate Protein Powder
  • 1 tablespoon honey (optional, omit if using sweetened version)
  • optional Toppings:
  • chia seeds
  • kiwi
  • granola
  • coconut
  • bananas

Directions are as followed:

1. Run frozen acai packs under hot water for a few seconds to loosen it up. Pour the pack into a blender. Add banana,ice, milk, coca, protein powder, and vanilla. Blend for 1 minute or until creamy.
  2. Pour mixture into a bowl or cup. Top with fruit of choice, granola, coconut flakes, and/or chia seeds.

Needless to say, this recipe will not disappoint. Plus, it can always be altered to your liking by adding, lessening or removing things all together. My only recommendation while making this is to be  sure to screw the lid on tightly to whatever device you are using for blending to avoid make a mess-like I did my first go around. Also, don’t forget your protein  powder to help with those booty gains 🍑😁.

As always, if you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and family!! Also be sure to check out GimmieDelicious’ blog for more good recipes!

Tell me, have you tried this smoothie bowl or any other flavors? If so, list them below! Also, what other recipes or habits are you using or adding your clean eating or healthy lifestyle routine? I would LOVE to hear your ideas!
Love Always,

-Vera

58 Comments

1. May 4, 2017 / 9:23 pm

This looks seriously delicious and healthy! I only recently tried a smoothie bowl, and omg, it was so much better than I thought it would be. Thanks for sharing – I’ll definitely have to try this recipe out soon!

Joanne | https://fung-shui.com/

2. May 5, 2017 / 2:55 pm

Love smoothies and am always on the hunt for healthy recipes for them. Sometimes smoothies can be as bad for you as a Big Mac! But – checking this out because you had me at chocolate!

• May 5, 2017 / 5:22 pm

Lol. If you locw chocolate you will DEFINITELY love this one! Luckily the coacoa powder doesnt have any sugar in it and the almond milk is pretty good for you. You can even use unsweetened and it will still taste yummy!!

3. May 5, 2017 / 3:18 pm

I keep hearing about acai bowls and I haven’t tried them yet. Your’s looks amazing! What a great way to start the day!

4. May 5, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I love love smoothie bowls! They are my summer go to. Though I totally haven’t made a chocolate one in ages! Maybe I’ll do this for todays lunch!

5. May 5, 2017 / 3:48 pm

I love Acai and I love chocolate! I have always wanted to try out these bowls. I will have to give it a try now!

• May 5, 2017 / 5:23 pm

For sure!! Let me know how it turned out for you!

6. May 5, 2017 / 4:45 pm

I never used Acai but I am sure it is full of great stuff and a berry blast taste. That smoothie bowl looks delicious for any meal of the day.

7. May 5, 2017 / 5:45 pm

I love using this stuff in smoothies. It’s so flavorful and easy. Not to mention crazy good for you! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

• May 8, 2017 / 3:54 am

So true!!! Let me know how you like it!

8. May 5, 2017 / 11:08 pm

I’d eat this! I like the components separated, though, before the smoothie, but the smoothie would be a lot more convenient!

9. Kristina
    May 6, 2017 / 1:26 am

This looks delicious and SO HEALTHY! I’d love to try this. My husband would like it too I think!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:55 am

I definitely think you should go for it!

10. May 6, 2017 / 2:16 am

I need to make a smoothie bowl. I have been having smoothies lately so this would mix things up. Plus the chocolate would make it a real treat.

• May 8, 2017 / 3:56 am

I agree. The toppings add so much bang to it!

11. May 6, 2017 / 1:21 pm

I have never seen a chocolate acas bowl! I bet this would be perfect for a hot summer day.

• May 8, 2017 / 3:53 am

It is definitely very refreshing but also filling at the same time. You should give it a try!

12. May 6, 2017 / 2:32 pm

That looks super delicious! It would be a perfect breakfast or me since it seems simple to make and delicious. I like simple because I am always chasing after my kids lol

• May 8, 2017 / 3:53 am

I know the feeling all too well. They will be eating them with you in no time lol.

13. Jeanine
    May 6, 2017 / 2:57 pm

This looks amazing. i love that its chocolate so I would enjoy it. I’m not really big fans of other bowls that aren’t chocolate. I’ll give this a try!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:52 am

I am exploring a bit myself but this is my ultimate favorite! I am here with you in the love affair with chocolate lol.

14. May 6, 2017 / 3:02 pm

This looks and sounds like the perfect breakfast! I love the new smoothie bowl trend. I feel like eating a smoothie is far more filling (at least in the mind) than drinking one is.

15. May 6, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Kiwi and chocolate! Yes please! I really need to jumpstart my healthy eating habits and this is something that I would love!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:51 am

Give it a try! It also easier to make little baggies of what you want to put in your smoothie and store it in the freezer. Then when you wake up in the morning you can just pop it in the blender, pour it in the bowl with your topping and chow down!

16. May 6, 2017 / 3:26 pm

Okay, that actually looks like a smoothie bowl that I would eat! I’ll be honest, I haven’t been on board with this whole smoothie bowl movement. I like smoothies in a glass, and cereal with milk, lol. But that looks really yummy! I would make an exception!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:50 am

Lol, I was a bit perplexed at first as well. But they did look pretty tasty so I took the plunge. I’m so glad I did too.

17. May 6, 2017 / 3:36 pm

Yum yum!! I used to eat these a lot for breakfast. Since switching to a Whole30 lifestyle these are more of a treat during my breaks between sessions, but I do love anything with chocolate and bananas in it. 😍😍😍

• May 8, 2017 / 3:49 am

I agree with the bananas. I feel like they are a smoothie necessity.

18. May 7, 2017 / 1:11 am

Aren’t smoothie bowls the best? You can have your drink and eat it too. Lol. But seriously, I love it and it’s awesome that there are so many recipes that you can do.

• May 8, 2017 / 3:48 am

Yes they are awesome. Why didnt you tell me about them sooner lol.

19. May 7, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I keep wanting to get one of these acai bowls but I cant seem to find a place near me that makes them. I guess I will just have to try making them myself now!!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:47 am

GO FOR IT!!!! and tell me how much you love/hate it afterwards lol.

20. May 7, 2017 / 2:49 pm

This looks wonderful! I”m trying to make better morning choices but struggle avoiding yummy breakfast options. This is the perfect solution!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:47 am

The struggle is so real but well worth it in the end!

21. lydia
    May 7, 2017 / 5:46 pm

I live for acai bowls!! They are so delicious. I’ve never had a chocolate bowl, but I want to try this out!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:47 am

Hey now! I am starting to live for them too. I was starting to get on my husbands nerves for a while because its was all I’d eat for breakfast.

22. May 8, 2017 / 12:34 am

You know I still haven’t made a smoothie bowl. This one looks delicious and I love that it’s chocolate!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:46 am

YESSSSSS!!! You will LOVE this. It is so rich and the right amount of sweet. The best part is that its healthier and has protein in it!

23. May 8, 2017 / 1:22 am

You’re not last to the party! I haven’t tried smoothie bowls yet. I want to b/c they look so darned good, but I don’t understand if I am supposed to drink the remaining smoothie from the bowl, or just spoon it like a soup? lol I’m so very confused, but willing to try!

• May 8, 2017 / 3:45 am

I was a littly confused at first as well. All of the toppings I chose did give it more texture. It was almost like eating cereal, except better! The granola will pair well with it if you want more of a crunch.

24. May 8, 2017 / 12:55 pm

This looks absolutely delicious and a perfect change to the usual breakfast soothie! Will definitely try this recipe!

25. May 8, 2017 / 4:16 pm

Wow I think I really need this! I really dont have any appetite right now because of my morning sickness. This smoothie looks really yummy!

26. May 8, 2017 / 7:05 pm

You are not alone, I had no idea that smoothie bowls are a thing! This one looks delicious!

27. May 9, 2017 / 12:32 am

I am trying to get back into smoothies and this recipe might just do it! thank you for sharing. A definite pin for later.

28. May 9, 2017 / 9:11 pm

I love acai and it has so many benefits for your immune system. I am a fan of smoothie bowls as well and this looks so good x

29. May 10, 2017 / 1:56 pm

You had me at chocolate, but ten you added kiwi and I was in heaven! I love smoothies, but I usually tend to feel bad because there not exactly healthy or they taste like poo. I’m definitely going to give this one a whirl!

30. May 10, 2017 / 4:51 pm

This is a good reminder that I have to start taking care of what I eat. this looks really delicious but I have to admit that I am a fast food addict. I desperately need to change that!!!

31. Love You Wedding
    May 10, 2017 / 7:48 pm

I have read a lot about the health benefits of the acai berry. However, since I cannot get it fresh, I will try the frozen one instaed so I can make this delicious smoothie bowl.

32. May 10, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Having this for breakfast would be an absolute treat!! x

33. Ali Rost
    May 11, 2017 / 2:44 am

Smoothie bowls are the best! I eat one nearly every morning after my yoga class. I haven’t tried adding acai, but definitely will. This version looks delish!

34. May 11, 2017 / 2:57 pm

This is confusing and interesting at the same time. I am forever being told that chocolate is bad and because of this i haven’t touched it for years. But the way you show it here with the addition of the acai and fruits makes it look spectacular and worth a shot. Thanks!

• May 11, 2017 / 3:09 pm

I have heard that dark chocolate is better for you than sweetened milk chocolate.

35. May 11, 2017 / 6:14 pm

Your smoothie bowls looks delicious. I wouldn’t worry about when you arrived at the party at leas you discovered these and get to enjoy them too. I haven’t tried them with acai yet.

36. May 12, 2017 / 5:12 pm

This looks great, so great that I actually want to lick my computer screen. Acai bowls are totally my fave thing right now and so good for you.