Perplexed Heels + Flowing Rose Duster!

I don’t know about you guys, but this St. Louis weather has been both bipolar and a big tease all in one week. Some days it feels like spring is approaching and other days it seems like winter wants to stick around for longer than we desire. Well, since many are on the “New Year, New Me” kick, I chose to throw all caution to the wind and flaunt my smoked out perplexed heels I purchased from EGO Official last year.

I decided to pair these puppies with some simple, dark, denim, high-waisted jeans from Forever 21 and my rosey pink duster from Boo Hoo (my first time wearing this piece as well). I think my choker necklace from A’gaci was also just enough bling to bring this look to life, without being overbearing. My deep burgundy Kate Spade purse from Marshall’s was also a nice complement to the softer color of my duster but bold enough to match the darker purple eye look I decided to sport for the day. Needles to say, I feeling myself (in my Queen Bey Voice)!

This all happened when I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather the weekend had to offer, and enjoy some alone time with the hubby (all photo credits go to him y’all-Thanks Babe!). To celebrate Black History month, we took a stroll through Down Town St Louis. We visited the Old Court House where, most you may already know, the famous cases of Dread Scott vs. Sanford and  William’s vs. Bellefontaine Railway Company both  took place.

We also wandered around on the Riverfront, near the Gateway Arch, where all the beautiful graffiti is shown behind me in some of my pics.  This brought back many memories for me, seeing that the Arch was where I got my very first job!  The Riverfront is also rich in the history African Americans due to the fact that the Mississippi River was not only the “Gateway to the West” but also the “Escape for the Enslaved.”  The Riverfront was a place where many abolitionist and other freed African Americans would help slaves cross the same river I gazed over, to the free state of Illinois.

I know that was a tad bit off topic, but I had to pay some respect to my ancestors that helped African Americans get to where we are now. Because of them, I am able to “strut my stuff” down those very streets where they fought long and hard for respect, rights and freedom.

This was actually a liberating experience for me. This was the first time I decided to wear something because I chose to break free from the fear that people would look at me crazy, or laugh at me for wearing things that most find weird or “not in style.” Well, guess what, I AM FREE!!! I can wear what I want, when I want, and how I want. While, this is no where near as big as what my ancestors conquered, its still me standing for something- standing for myself. I have seen so many “memes” about these darn clear shoes!!! About how they make your feet look like chicken wrapped tight inside the saran wrap at the grocery store (I do admit it was slightly humorous),  how they look like “hooker heels,” and the list goes on. Well, on this day I tossed aside my fears like I tossed the tail of my duster jacket around and I decided to express myself as clearly and transparently as the shoes I was rocking on my feet 😜!

Happy Black History Month to you all!! Regardless of your race, equality is important for the HUMAN RACE. Embrace who you are, where you come from and what you stand for!!

Tell me, what did you do to celebrate this month? Where are you from and what traditions did you (or do you pass) along to your children? Have you ever been afraid to do something? What is stopping you from setting yourself free? Of course I’d love to hear from you all!!

PS…..If you enjoyed this read, I would love for you to share it with others!

Love Always,

Vera

21 Comments

1. robin rue
    May 18, 2017 / 7:09 am

I love that Dusters are making a comeback! My mom always wore them back in the 80’s when they were in style then, so they remind me of her.

2. May 18, 2017 / 11:18 am

I purchased a black duster a few years back had no idea how to rock it or what to do with it! thanks to you I have a few ideas!

3. May 18, 2017 / 11:30 am

I can totally relate to you about the weather. Here in California the weather has also been crazy it’ll be pretty warm one day and then the next day it’s snowing again in the Sierras. Can you believe there’s snow in Tahoe and it’s almost June it’s just crazy. We are definitely not in a drought anymore .

4. May 18, 2017 / 5:28 pm

I had many dusters in my day and this one is so beautiful. You rock it. I am a blogger from St. Charles. I recognized your photography location. Gorgeous.

5. May 18, 2017 / 5:44 pm

Love your style! I also love reading articles like this because i’ve been calling my duster a long cardigan hahaha. I have two actually that I bought just one the weekend and I love wearing them!

• May 18, 2017 / 6:06 pm

lol. That’s so funny and cute. I didn’t know they were called dusters for a long while either. Those and wind breakers hahaha.

6. Debra
    May 18, 2017 / 10:15 pm

I love the flowing duster and I absolutely love the color, it is one of my very favorite right now.

7. May 19, 2017 / 9:46 am

I love the shoes and I’m really loving how your eyes matched your outfit. So pretty!

8. May 19, 2017 / 10:39 am

I love that quote! If you ever see me looking down it is to admire my shoes! That quote is perfect!

9. May 19, 2017 / 11:01 am

I’m kind of obsessed with anything rose colored this year. I love that duster. It is so beautiful and perfect for this crazy weather.

10. Elizabeth O.
    May 19, 2017 / 11:33 am

This outfit is lovely! I really like that rose pink duster, there are plenty of ways to wear it and it’s perfect for the weather! I like how you styled this outfit too.

11. May 19, 2017 / 11:35 am

I love those boots! It’s really stunning and it’s definitely the kind of shoes that you want to wear when the weather is perfect and you wanna look good! Definitely love this outfit!

12. May 19, 2017 / 3:36 pm

Oh that jacket is perfect! I love the color. Also your hair is amazing.

13. May 19, 2017 / 7:38 pm

You are gorgeous and I love everything about how you styled this outfit, especially your eye makeup. I wish I was daring enough to try a look like this with my makeup. Love love love!

14. May 20, 2017 / 3:56 am

I really admire what you think. That outfit looks really fantastic and very lovely on you. Happy Black History Month!

15. May 20, 2017 / 11:32 am

Those boots are absolutely to die for wow! I adore your ink duster and the entire look. You looked so trendy. Your hair is so pretty, I love anything curly.

16. May 20, 2017 / 5:10 pm

You look fabulous in your outfit! Love the rose duster and ankle boots. Also, your makeup looks fierce!

17. May 20, 2017 / 6:12 pm

That’s a gorgeous duster – the color is perfect. And your makeup looks so gorgeous! I love the eye shadows you used…

I enjoyed hearing how confident you felt while walking, and how empowered and proud you feel for being African American. That’s wonderful!

We should all feel proud about our heritage and the stories of the people who came before us, and who are presently fighting for the rights we have today and what we hope to have in the future.

18. CourtneyLynne
    May 20, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Omg such a chic look!!!! I definitely need to add a pair of boots like this to my wardrobe. I have a few outfits that would look fabulous with them

19. May 21, 2017 / 8:43 am

Love that duster! And YOUR SHOES are gorgeous! I would be looking down to admire them all day too.

20. lydia
    May 21, 2017 / 1:43 pm

I am ALL about those boots/heels! Those are amazing. I love the rose duster, so gorgeous!! You are such a babe!